There are many devices on the market claiming to help stop you snoring.
Snoring can be very annoying and prevent you getting a decent night’s sleep. Not only that you may be fed up with getting dug in the ribs by your partner. After all they want a decent night’s sleep too.
So where do you begin to look for something that will help. There are nasal sprays, pillows, mouthpieces and nasal strips to name a few.
VitalSleep is a mouthpiece known as a mandibular advancement device or MAD.
But what is this and what does it do?
Time to take a closer look. Read our review.
What Is VitalSleep?
As previously mentioned this is a Mandibular Advancement Device or MAD. It moves your lower jaw forward.
We will look why this is important in a moment. First let’s look at the features of VitalSleep.
It is a mouthpiece that can be adjusted to fit in two ways.
Boil and Bite Technique
- This means that you can mold the device to fit your mouth.
- Place the device in boiling water for 10 seconds.
- When you remove it look for the triangle that indicates which way is up.
- Place the device in your mouth and bite down gently for 15 seconds.
- Remove the device and place it under cold running water for 30 seconds.
This should give you a comfortable fit. If it does not you can repeat this process up to five times.
Lower Tray Adjustment
- This device allows you to adjust the lower tray by up to 7 mm. It comes with a Hex tool supplied for this purpose. You may find that you don’t need to adjust it. If you do be sure to read the enclosed instruction in full.
- The device is made from a BPA and latex-free thermoplastic material. It is hypoallergenic and non-irritating.
- The device has air holes that allow you to breathe through your mouth.
- The device can be cleaned with a toothbrush and toothpaste. You can also soak the device in a denture cleaner.
- The device is also available in two sizes. Large for men and small for women.
VitalSleep device is made by The Snore Reliever Company LLC. Founded in 2010 they are based in New York.
How Does VitalSleep Work
We mentioned earlier that VitalSleep moves your lower jaw forward. Now we will look at why this is important.
There are many reasons why people snore. One of these reasons is the partial obstruction of the airway to and from the lungs when we sleep. This may be caused by relaxation of the muscles in the tongue and throat tissue.
When the lower jaw relaxes it causes the surrounding muscles and tissue to relax. Gravity causes your tongue to slide towards your throat. This narrows the airway, restricting air flow. As a result the air passing through vibrates and causes a noise. This noise is what we call snoring.
An MAD aims to help lessen the restriction on your airways. It does this by moving the jaw forward and away from the back of your throat. This also causes the tongue to move forward and open up the airway. This can reduce the vibration caused by air resistance that leads to snoring.
The adjustments you can make on VitalSleep may make it effective. You can decide what level is comfortable for you when you move the lower tray.
The adjustments on this device may make it more comfortable to wear.
The device also allows you to open your mouth about 25%. This enables you to breathe through your mouth.
You can also move your mouth a little from side to side which may help relieve jaw ache. This can also be useful if you grind your teeth.
There are two sizes available to choose from. If you get it wrong when you order the company will replace it for the other size free of charge.
VitalSleep Side Effects
You may experience some temporary side effects. These include:
- Tooth movement
- Changes in bite
- Soreness in the mouth and jaw
- Excessive salivation which causes drooling
- Obstruction of oral breathing
If you are unsure whether VitalSleep may be right for you, check with your dentist before use.
Who Is This Product For?
The product is designed for adults over the age of 18 who have simple snoring issue.
You should not use this product if you have:
- Central sleep apnea.
- Any respiratory disorder, including emphysema or asthma.
- Temporomandibular joint disorder (TJD), or any jaw pain or jaw disease.
- Braces, retainers, or recent dental implants.
Complaints & Issues
There is one complaint registered at the Better Business Bureau. The company does not have a rating as there is insufficient evidence to provide one.
There are many testimonials on the company website. They state they have 200,000 happy sleepers.
There are many happy customers who find the VitalSleep works well for them. They also find the customer service very good. Darryl Groner had tried many other devices.
I tried everything to stop my snoring including UVPP surgery, Breathe Right Strips, Nostril inserts, a weird mask thing to keep my mouth closed and a Zyppah, which I couldn’t keep in my mouth for my than 2 seconds before gagging on it. None of those products worked at all. My Vital Sleep put an end to my snoring the first time I tried it. My wife now sleeps soundly and so do I. It works amazingly well. Then I left it on my nightstand one morning and our little dog got it and chewed it up. Vital Sleep was nice enough to replace it free of charge and we sleep peacefully once more. This was honestly the last device I was going to try, thank goodness I didn’t try a different brand, I can’t thank Vital Sleep enough.
He is not the only one whose dog thought this was a toy to play with. So make a note if you have a dog, keep it out of their reach!
The company are very open that the product does not work for everyone.
They post on their website:
We want to be upfront with you and below is a list of the main reasons and complaints we have received from customers for whom VitalSleep was not effective.
- Product did not fit user’s mouth properly
- User did not follow fitting instructions properly
- Snoring was caused by a condition in which mandibular advancement was not effective
- Forward movement of lower jaw by VitalSleep was not great enough
- User had hypersensitive gag reflex
- Discomfort, soreness and/or pain in teeth or jaw
- Contraindications prevented user from using device
- Poor user compliance
There are very few negative reviews to be found online. One customer found that he was unable to keep the VitalSleep in his mouth.
This is the first one I have ever tried after reading about it on another website, but it didn’t work for me at all. It kept falling out of my mouth. I tried many modifications but nothing worked. I don’t know if it’s because I have a small mouth or what.
VitalSleep Video Testimonials
VitalSleep: Packages, Prices & Where To Buy It
See below how the official site looks like.
The company offers a 60 day money back guarantee. This applies from the date you receive your order.
The company also offers a one year warranty on their product. They offer free replacements for 1 year for whatever reason.
They will also give a free replacement if you have ordered the wrong size.
VitalSleep Pros & Cons
VitalSleep Review: Final Words
When choosing something to help stop you snoring it’s important to look at all the features of the product. You need to weigh up how it will benefit you and your needs.
Finding the right device may help reduce or even eliminate snoring. This may result in a good night’s sleep. It may give you more daytime energy. It may even stop you getting sore ribs and make your partner happy!.
VitalSleep has many positive reviews. The company are open and honest. They give you a money back guarantee and a replacement warranty. You even have the option of a 30 day trial for the cost of shipping and handling.
The price is not too prohibitive and it may work for you. It’s up to you to decide.
We laid out the facts, will you buy VitalSleep? Comment below and tell us what you think!